For me, two big ideas stood out during Learning Experience 3.
1. It is really important to develop plans, however, understanding how you are going to assess those plans and ensure that you are moving forward is much more important.
2. There are so many different ways that people learn, and understand, and we need to be aware of this. Professional development is very important, but how we deliver our message and ensure people buy in is equally important.
As a leader I will need to try and figure out how I can keep our goals simple, yet ensure that I have staff "buy in". Too much is overwhelming, I know this for sure. What I think is great, another doesn't like. How I learn is different than my colleague learns. I'm also wondering if I need to focus my energies on one colleague. We discussed the idea of mentorship, perhaps our new staff member would like to partner up and learn from me? I was almost overwhelmed with all the ways that we can implement a year long technology plan. I'd like to choose a few things, and make sure that I do them very well, and make sure that my colleagues do as well. The word sustainable came up. If we want change to happen, we need to be sure our colleagues are on board, otherwise once I walk out of the room, it won't happen again. We've all been there! For technology, I think the PD needs to be job embedded, in the trenches as I say. Teachers need to do it, get right in there! Co-planning and co-teaching is my goal, let's see how things go!
Another wondering I have is how we can really take our conversation around the table, and make sure there is action. We have committees, yes. However, we plan, and our message, goals, ideas stay stagnant. Often we start something, and it dies off. I remember a principal once saying that as teachers, we own the school improvement plan, we should independently take it on, and make sure it is happening. However, I think that the principal needs to be the driving force. Plan the meetings, ask questions, be informed, expect results. Otherwise from what I've seen, it just doesn't happen. I will remember this if ever I become a principal. I'll need to be involved. Try to inspire people. Teachers are overwhelmed, they often feel they don't do enough, can't do enough. We need to help them!
During LE 3 it really hit me that really, there are SO many online tools. I want to try them all! Let's face it, I won't. I keep thinking I should be making a list! I'm not... but I will. I think!
A few that caught my attention:
1. Explain Everything (I've been seeing it pass me by on Twitter, I'm intrigued)
2. Sesame (I need to do some digital assessment and note taking)
3. Weebly (I made my first blog, my students need to as well!)
4. Zunal (Both my students and myself will make some webquests)
5. Math site: Illuminations
I found it amazing that everyone listed off so many different tools, in their year plans, their brochures. How lucky are our students to be using tools to support their learning and help them access the curriculum?
I'm really finding that our group in IICT Part 3 is very caring and collaborative. If someone has a hard time embedding, someone else jumps in and makes a suggestion. If someone is reaching for an idea, someone else is there to suggest a next step. We are really lucky have a group of people from all over Ontario who want to take time during their summer holiday to learn from each other. I was particularly struck by our frank discussions about professional learning - what worked and what did not, and suggestions how we can improve the delivery of PD. Also really enjoyed discussing video conferencing and how some of us felt we never gave it a try, and were overwhelmed by the idea. Perhaps we will even join forces and try it amongst ourselves - within our little caring community.
By engaging together, and taking ownership of our own professional learning we are certainly committed to the standards of practice of the teaching profession.
- We want to grow professionally so we can help our students to learn.
- Engaging in professional dialogue and learning about technology we are staying current on trends in education.
- By discussing our work together, we are reflecting on our own practice, and deciding what we would like to bring to our own practice.
- In Part 3, we are deciding what kind of leader we would like to be, and planning for our journey ahead.
- Teachers understand that some of our learning needs to be self-directed. Taking an AQ course shows our commitment to professional development.
In the end I wonder how teaching and technology will change and evolve? Are people open enough? Are teachers tired and fighting change? Do they feel supported? Is there true equity? And in the end, who am I? How do I lead, without actually being a leader?

No comments:
Post a Comment